What a great time to talk about oats! January is National Oatmeal Month.
Oats are an incredibly nutritious food packed with important vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
They are one of the healthiest foods you can eat. Compared to other grains, they are high in fiber and protein and contain the soluble fiber beta-glucan and antioxidants called avenanthramides.
Benefits of oatmeal
- Very nutritious – half a cup includes manganese (191%), Phosphorus, Magnesium, Copper, Iron, Zinc, Folate, Vitmains B1 and B5
- Great source of protein (13 grams per half cup)
- Keeps you fuller, longer with high levels of fiber (8 grams per half cup)
- Lowers blood sugar and cholesterol levels
- May decrease risk of childhood asthma
- Gluten free if following a gluten-free diet
Try to source only organic oats and rinse them thoroughly (or soak them overnight) before preparing to remove the phytic acid and improve digestion.